Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Smashbook: My Name Is...


Happy Wednesday :) I hope you're enjoying your week! I've been so busy with so many other projects, that it feels like forever since the last time I shared a spread from my pretty pink SMASH book. I know with this crazy year and my current obsession with Project Life and Filofax, I've been neglecting my SMASH books for quite some time. I figured since I haven't had the chance to work in them lately, I would share some old spreads I created last year.

Around this time last year I was fairly new to SMASH books. But I have been documenting memories this way since I was a child. I still have my old altered composition books from 20 years ago filled with doodles and journaling, photobooth pictures, clippings from magazines, ticket stubs, fun tags from my favorite products. I guess that you can say I'm a natural SMASHer that was SMASHing before there was even a name for it! Not much has changed now that I'm in 30's, except that my style has grown and evolved.

Today I'm sharing a spread that I created around the end of Summer in 2012. It was one of my very first layouts, and I was slowly starting to develop my own style. Many of the techniques I used in this spread, I continue to use today. It has a little bit of everything, and is filled with many of my favorite elements.

Smashbook: My Name Is | Full Spread
This spread originally started out as a test page for some new ink and stamps I purchased, and some homemade glimmer mists I was trying out. [You can find my Glimmer Mist DIY here.] I really loved the way it looked when I was done, and thought it would be the perfect background for a whole new layout. 

Smashbook: My Name Is | Left Page

The images from my stamps, and the colors from the new ink and spray mists were totally me. So I decided to do a sort of "About Me" using acronyms from my name. I chose upper case alphabet stickers to get me started, and used my love of handwriting and penmanship to spell out specific traits for each letter of my name.

Smashbook: My Name Is | Confetti Envelope That Holds a Selfie

I also thought it would be fun to add a photograph of myself taken during that specific time in my life. I've used confetti pages many times in my handmade Daybooks, and thought of a way to apply this techique in my Smashbook for this spread. Combining the cellophane packaging from a sheet of stickers and some fun washi tape, I was able to create a see-through envelope which I attached to the page with a washi-tape hinge. I added some confetti (the negatives from my different paper punches) and an instagram selfie. Being a "green mama," I love that I was able to repurpose things that would normally be thrown away.

Smashbook: Right Page

Magazine clippings are one of my favorite SMASH* supplies (going back to my childhood), and being able to use this potty girl image from my stash made it a perfect addition to this spread. A clear crown sticker is the finishing touch. I also love pockets. You can find all different kinds in the pages of my books. I thought it would be fun to add one to this spread too. This particular pocket was handmade using pretty patterned paper, and embellished with washi tape, a cardstock tag, and pink glitter alphabet stickers.

Smashbook: My Name Is | A Handmade Pocket Holds Journal Cards

Inside the pocket holds some small Project Life journal cards that are perfect for SMASHing. These are all free printables that I used to document specific things I wanted to remember at that time. I have a favorite quote, 5 Things That I Love, and Facts about Me.

For an added touch I used more washi tape to create little tabs on each card. The main reason I do this because my daughter loves flipping through my SMASH books and interacting with the different elements. The washi tabs makes it easier for her to pull the cards in and out of the pocket without tearing it apart. It's fun for her and makes me worry less about my book in the hands of a 4-year-old.

I really hope you liked my SMASH* post and leave here feeling inspired to create something beautiful in your book! Want to take a peek at my pretty pink book? You can find it here. Looking for more SMASH* inspiration and the printables I used in this spread? Browse through my "SMASH* & PL" or "Printables/Templates" pinboards on Pinterest. You'll find hundreds of links to DIY's, How-To's, ideas, tips, and free printables for everything SMASH* and Project Life. Don't forget to follow those boards because I find new stuff daily!

You can stay updated on my recent posts, projects, and photos by following me on instagram, or by "liking" my new fan page on Facebook. So why not head over there now and show some love...

Do you SMASH*? Have you done a spread like this yet? Have any favorite elements or supplies? I'd love to hear them! Any comments, thoughts or questions about this post? Please let me know. Your feedback is always welcome and much appreciated.

Thank you for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover