Friday, October 25, 2013

Green Clean: DIY Stain Remover


Happy Aloha Friday! I hope you enjoyed your week :) It's been pretty busy in our household with the holidays right around the corner, as well as all of the planning I've been doing for my blog. I have lots of fun stuff coming up, so stay tuned! I noticed that it's been a very long time since I've done a "Green" post... and based on the statistics of my blog, they are some of my most popular articles to date!


Today I have another homemade favorite from my "Green Clean" arsenal. It's about time to restock my Stain Remover supply, making this the perfect opportunity to share my recipe. Originally inspired by photos from Pinterest, I decided to try it out for myself. I've been using this for over a year now and it still surprises me with the things it can get out... having a 4 year old, and all ;) With about 95% of my household cleaners being homemade and natural, I have no plans on ever switching back to store-bought chemical products. This one does the job, is very inexpensive to make, and consists of ingredients I know. We love being Green.


SUPPLIES

1 Part Dawn
2 Parts Hydrogen Peroxide
Spray Bottle
Note: I used my Silhouette Cameo to cut a vinyl label.


First add the Dawn dish detergent. [Note: The other recipes I came across used the blue Dawn. Since I don't notice a difference between the type of Dawn being used, I went with my favorite... plus it was what I had on hand! The Hawaiian scent is heavenly...]


Over time, instead of measuring, I just eyeball the ingredients. Homemade recipes are so great because making adjustments is super simple. My bottle has measurements on the side which is very handy.


Next you add the peroxide. Again, I just eyeballed it, pouring about double the amount I used for Dawn.


I slowly added more Dawn and more peroxide to get a good amount of solution. This small batch will hold me over for about 6 months. Adding large amounts of each ingredient will give you a full bottle!


You are done! Wasn't that easy? Just give the bottle a good mix before each use, but don't shake it too vigorously or you'll end up with a soapy mess. Spray on carpets, upholstery, and clothing to remove tough stains.

*TIP: Perform a spot test on your item first, as the peroxide may cause lightening.

Don't forget to check out my other "Green Clean" DIY's that I linked at the top of this post! If you're looking for more natural homemade recipes, browse my "Earth Mama" pinboard on Pinterest! You'll find lots of inspiration for making that small step to becoming a Green household.

You can stay updated on my recent posts, projects, and photos by following me on instagram, or by "liking" my new fan page on Facebook. So why not head over there now and show some love...

Are you Green family? Do you make your own cleaners too? What motivated you? Tried this recipe? I'd love to hear about it! Any thoughts, question, or comments about this post? Please drop me a line. Your feedback is always welcome and much appreciated!

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover